Validating Mobile SitesHow valid is your Mobile Web Site? Find out with these awesome validators. These validators will grade and offer best practice solutions to achieve a more compliant Mobile site. These are also valuable tools for a code review!
Mobile Web Best PracticesBoth validators above evaluate mobile sites based upon standards and best practices. Their best practice and standards documentation can be found here:
Firefox Add-onsThe following Firefox add-ons are very powerful tools for testing and developing:
- User Agent Switcher allows you to alter your user-agent. Now you can simulate a request as any device. For example, I used this technique to test the content adaptation on Bank of America. They alter their content for touchscreen vs non-touchscreen devices. Typically, it is a good practice to provide larger buttons on a touchscreen device.
- Modify Headers allows you to alter your HTTP Headers. This also allows us to simulate different types of device behavior. Additionally, if you need to view HTTP Request Headers from a Mobile device Gail Frederick has built a helpful site for that.
- XHTML Mobile Profile enables the Firefox browser to render XHTML MP markup documents.
- Small Screen Renderer allows you to simulate the screen size of a mobile device.
Device Testing SolutionsThe ideal testing solution is to test on the physical device. Two virtual device testing solutions exist:
- Test AJAX compatibility on a mobile device