- Saves cost on development effort. The suite of controls are already developed and tested. This allows your team to work on more valuable tasks.
- Excellent performance. YUI has adopted many of the great performance improvement practices that were identified in Best Practices for Speeding Up Your Web Site. Several of the performance improvements include:
- Yahoo will host the files on their own Content Delivery Network. In addition, Yahoo will compress and cache all of their controls for even greater performance. They also manage versioning.
- Components are supported across all A-Grade browsers
- Helps non-UI experts design beautiful user interfaces. Yahoo provides the design and CSS layout for all of their components.
- 508 compliant. All components are screen reader accessible.
- All components already have extensive documentation with many examples.
- Reusable. You can apply the YUI controls everywhere because they are not proprietary.
- Technology agnostic. These controls can be applied across all Web environments regardless of technology (Java, .NET, Rails, etc.).
- Support many features that allow you to change behavior without customizing the code.
- Some controls are not bullet proof. For example, there is a sorting issue with their datatable control if you embed the component within a table. However, this is not an issue if you are working in a CSS based design.
- They do not have everything but the list is extensive.
- Try to avoid customizations. Customizing the code will make it difficult to migrate to newer versions in the future.